The Dynamites Learn to Play Hockey School is a great opportunity for young boys and girls to learn more about the game of hockey, log quality ice time, and receive skating instruction from qualified and professional staff.
The Dynamites curriculum is designed to teach the fundamentals of hockey skating to new players. Skaters will learn the basic hockey stance, stride, knee bend, use of edges and other necessary fundamentals to be successful in hockey practices and game situations. The program utilitizes the Learn to Skate USA format developed by US Figure Skating and endorsed by USA Hockey.
Professional Coaching bios
Janet Thomson began her skating career training at the rink owned by her family in southern New Hampshire and competed in the Boston area. She was a skating instructor UConn for several years. She gained experience as a youth hockey skating coach and a Learn-To-Skate program manager through the Washington Hockey Association and the Watertown Skating Club. Janet has been on staff at Twin Rinks as a skating instructor since 2007, and is a registered US Figure Skating & USA Hockey coach and holds a group instruction rating earned through the Professional Skaters Association (PSA). She enjoys working with skaters of all ages and levels; from basic/introductory skating to advanced skating skills involving edges, turns, and power.
John Miserendino, Assistant Hockey Director at Twin Rinks & Mite Development Coach for Darien Youth Hockey, has spent the last 10+ years as a professional power skating & skills instructor and coach, and is currently the Head Coach of the Wilton High School boys’ varsity team and coaches with DYHA at Mites, Midget & Squirt levels. He is a USA Hockey Level 4 certified coach and has served and Director of Youth Hockey at Sono Ice House where he was the coach of the U12, U14 and U18 Norwalk Roughriders teams. John has also served at the lead instructor of the New York Rangers Assist Program and the Hockey in Norwalk Foundation.
- Designed for the 3-5 year old hockey player. If you have questions where your child should be, please contact us!
- Participants will receive an Official Dynamites Learn to Play Hockey School Jersey & 4 free passes to Public skating session ($75 value).
- Low player-to-instructor ratio with development through progressive teaching methods
- 50 minutes of instruction & fun on-ice activities weekly
- Rental skates are included ($40 value)
- Players earn badges as they progress through levels
This is a Learn to Skate USA Sanctioned program. Check out http://LearntoSkateUSA.com for info on this nationally recognized program.
Proudly endorsed by:
For more info on Learn to Skate, click here.
|Schedule of Classes|
|CYCLE 1: Sept 6 – Oct 21|
|CYCLE 2: Oct 25 - Dec 9|
|CYCLE 3: Jan 3 - Feb 17|
|CYCLE 4: Feb 21 - April 6|
|CYCLE 5: April 10 - May 23*|
|* No class 5/25 due to Memorial Day, make-up times will be made available.|
|Monday||1:00 - 1:50 pm||$275|
|Friday||1:20 - 2:35 pm||$275|
|Friday||4:00 - 5:15 pm||$275|
|Saturday||11:05 am - 12:20pm||$275|
Please note: Program includes 25 minutes of lesson& 25 minutes of fun on-ice activities. For 75 minute sessions, students will find out class time on first day!
All students must pay the annual Learn to Skate USA membership fee of $17.
Spots are limited. Registering online is quick & easy!
Our ice rink is chilly! To ensure all skaters are prepared, we designed this list of recommended clothing and equipment. When our skaters are warm and safe, they are “free to be” and it speeds up the learning process.
Hockey Helmet with cage
Hockey skates (or rentals)
Pants (No jeans)
Winter jacket/fleece top
Hockey Stick (flat blade)
Visit Wesco Sports Center at Twin Rinks for all your equipment needs!
- Arrive 30 minutes early on your very first day to settle into your space and navigate our registration table, skate rental counter, etc.
- Check-in at the Learn to Play table at the front entrance to receive your name badge for class.
- Pick up skates at Skate counter, just right of the main entrance.
- Head to the rink & find your coaches. High-fives are always encouraged!
- On the first day of the session, all new skaters will meet off-ice to be introduced to our hockey mission, coaches and to learn the proper way to fall, stand up and march prior to entering the ice.
- We understand that conflicts may arise. Unfortunately, we cannot offer make-up classes.
- Twin Rinks reserves the right to reschedule, change or cancel classes due to unforeseen circumstances.
- After we register you with Learn to Skate USA, you will receive a sticker book in the mail that guides you through all the skills and levels your skater will be learning so you can engage in conversation with your skater and ask them about the skills they worked on in class each week.
- Our coaches are available during free time to discuss your skater’s needs and to answer any questions you may have. Let them know before class when you drop your skater off rink side, and they can meet you during free time.
- Looking for other opportunities for your little one(s) to skate? Ask our staff about public skating, clinics, leagues & private lessons.